Community Foundation 2019 Impact ReportJuly 28, 2020 | Caregiver Stories, Caregiver Support Initiative, Community Foundation of Western Nevada
The purpose of the Impact Report is to communicate the significant contributions and the difference we have made in the community. With the mission of the Community Foundation of Western Nevada to strengthen our community through philanthropy and leadership by connecting people who care with causes that matter, it is vital for us to show the community the value of our work.
The Community Foundation’s Impact Report will give you a closer look to the Village on Sage Street, The Nonprofit Academy, Preventing Financial Scams, Family Estate Planning Series, the High School Giving Circle, The Community Foundation’s grants and scholarships, educational activities and collaborations, and the Caregiver Support Initiative.
In 2019, the Caregiver Support Initiative was able to reach its goal of doing extensive outreach work in the community. One family caregiver who came across the Washoe Caregivers Guidebooks said of the guidebook:
“You have made it less daunting to call and ask for help on caregiving resources!
I am trying to figure out how to manage this total emergence into caregiving.
Your help and the guidebook you referred me to has helped enormously.
I realized that as I read the guidebook, I was on the right track.”
Family caregivers shared they struggled to find resources. Because of this, we realized there is a great need to spread awareness on resources available. In 2019, we did outreach in the community by doing presentations on the Caregiver Support Initiative, WashoeCaregivers.org, and the Washoe Caregivers Guidebooks as well as distribution, so that family caregivers can get ahold of resources they need. The following survey results shows the impact the Washoe Caregivers Guidebook and WashoeCaregivers.org has impressed upon the family caregivers in the local community:
Washoe Caregivers Guidebook – The Washoe Caregivers Guidebook serves as an instructional manual for family caregivers. The guidebook lists 12 topics on the basics of caregiving. The following is a collection of survey results on how the guidebooks made an impact to the caregivers:
- 14,000 copies of the Guidebooks have been distributed in our local community.
- After reading the Guidebooks, 81% said their knowledge increased after reading the Guidebooks.
- 95% said they would recommend the Guidebook to another caregiver.
- 79% said that they will be able to provide better care to a family member after reading the Guidebook.
- 97% said they would recommend the Guidebook to another caregiver
- 94% recommend the guidebook to another caregiver
- Knowledge of caregiving increased by 37% on average after reading the Guidebook
- 82% feel more prepared to communicate with health care professionals
WashoeCaregivers.org – WashoeCaregivers.org is the resource directory website that has over 300 resources specifically made for family caregivers. The website makes it easier for family caregivers to find resources specifically for caregiving. The following are survey results on how WashoeCaregivers.org helped family caregivers find resources they needed:
- 70% said they were able to find the resources they were looking for on WashoeCaregivers.org
- 54% of caregivers found the resources that made it easier to be a caregiver
- 61% stated the website decreased the amount of time they spent looking for resources
- 28% said they are less stressed after finding resources and ca provide better care to their family member
- 36% found a resource that enhanced their family member’s life
- 21% said they WashoeCaregivers.org did not have an effect on the quality of their caregiving
- “Continue the good work, finally a comprehensive guide for resources.”
- “This is a great resource.”
- “I am less stressed now and can provide better care.”
- “Keep up this important work and keep working to improve and do more outreach to the community – including more publicity!”
With the work and the impact we have done with the Caregiver Support Initiative, we are pleased with the results we have received, but we also know there is more work to be done, and we are excited to continue with our ongoing work of providing resources to our family caregivers in the community.
For more information on our 2019 Impact Report, please visit https://nevadafund.org/impact/. For the 2019 Impact Report on the Caregiver Support Initiative, please visit: https://nevadafund.org/impact/caregiver-support-initiative-2019-impact-report/.
Please call the Community Foundation at 775-333-5499 for any questions.