A Guide to Getting Paid for Family Caregiving in Nevada

August 16, 2018 | Caregiver Compensation, Featured


As a family caregiver, you may wonder if it is possible to be paid for the care you provide. Many family caregivers become financially strained because they must reduce their work hours, quit their jobs, or retire early because of their caregiving responsibilities. The good news is that if you are receiving Medicaid and are not the Legally Responsible Individual for your family member, you can be compensated for being a caregiver or receive a caregiver if deemed eligible for the program free of charge. There are two options available: Agency Directed Care and Consumer Directed Care


Agency Directed Care 

Agency Directed Care enables family members to work with an agency to either be compensated for the care they provide to their family member or to select a caregiver from that agency to provide care free of charge for their family member. If you choose to be a paid caregiver through Agency Directed Care, you need to complete the employee requirements of an agency, just like any other employment opportunity. The employee requirements process includes an application, a fingerprint background check, and required classes/trainings pertaining to the care of a frail elderly person or person with a physical disability. Once employed, you will work with an agency to determine your paid work schedule. Through Agency Directed Care, you may also provide care to several Medicaid recipients in addition to your family member as a source of extra income.


Consumer Directed Care

Consumer Directed Care also allows family caregivers to be compensated, but family caregivers or their care recipient can also select a caregiver and have more autonomy with care coordination. If you choose to be compensated through Consumer Directed Care, you report directly to the care recipient, or the person responsible for them. All decisions and directions for care are the responsibility of the party seeking care.

If the person requiring care wants to select a caregiver, they will work with a consumer directed care agency, which means the person requiring care (or the person responsible for them) interviews, hires/fires, trains, and determines a work schedule for the caregiver. Additionally, it is the individual’s responsibility to have a back-up plan in place if the caregiver is unable to care for them during a scheduled caregiving shift.

If you have any questions about these options, please contact the Nevada Division of Health Care and Financial Policy at 775-684-3651.You can find other in-home care and respite care resources on this website by clicking  here.


Anna Olsen-Figueora and Maddie Huntley

Print Friendly, PDF & Email

21 comments on “A Guide to Getting Paid for Family Caregiving in Nevada

  • Hi My mom is 85 and we live together am on Disabletiy and a single parant i take care of my mom with driving her to her appointments and make sure she takes her meds everyday i do help her with going to the store and makin dinner cleanin and doin all the maintainin the home . can i get payed to be her caregiver?

    • Hi Paul,

      Thank you for reaching out to us. Please give us a call at 775-333-5499 so we can further assist you and provide you with information on who to contact. Thank you!

  • Hello, My 19 year old son is Autistic and needs someone with him all the time, is it true I am able to get paid as his caregiver since he is over 18 years old now? And on the days that I work my mom can also get paid as she comes to our home and watches him

    • Good morning Lori. Thank you for reaching out to us. Please give us a call at 775-333-5499 so that we can further assist you. Thank you!

  • I take care of my 88 year old sister who has alzheimers. I am 77 years old and I am her caregiver. Can I get financial help as a caregiver?

  • I was diagnosed with epilepsy about 8 months ago and have since laid off from work due to the covid19. But my episodes are 2-4 times a week. My spouse takes care of me. Its just gotten worse as time goes by. She also has to call off work when shes taling care of me. Can she get paid to be my care giver??

    • Good morning Sarah,

      Thank you for reaching out to us. There are a few options for your spouse to become a paid caregiver. Please call the Community Foundation at 775-333-5499 so we can further assist you. Thank you!

  • My mom lives with me and I provide all her care. She has Medicare And I was told I could get paid as Her caregiver in the state of Nevada. Just looking to see if this is true.

    • Hi Anita,

      Thank you for reaching out to us. It is true, you can get paid as a caregiver in the state of Nevada. If you need more information, please call the Community Foundation at 775-333-5499.

      • Hi I have my 89 year old grandmother who just moved in with me she has medicare and also receives SS I have been taking care of her cooking bathing etc.. I have has to quit my job but also receive snap and medicaid for me and my children . would i be approved to be her caregiver with all i let you know ? Thank you

  • My roommate of 20 years has stave 4 melanoma that has spread. I do all the cooking,cleaning ,yard work take him to appointments that are out of town can I get paid for being his caregiver?

    • Hello Sandra,

      We are sorry to hear about the news of your roommate’s melanoma spreading. Please give us a call at 775-333-5499 so we can better assist you. Thank you!

  • Thanks for pointing out that working with an agency or going from client to client are both viable options when working as a caregiver. My boyfriend is currently looking into how to become caregiver because he has always wanted to have a career that is somewhat adjacent to the medical field. He thinks that this will be good way to make his late mother proud because she used to be a nurse.


  • alex p gambino hi im 52 and am currently living with both parents who are 86 and 85 years old i cook clean shop do all home maintenance laundry schedule medication take them to doctor appointments father is going blind mother is on pace maker im unemployed do to caronna virus and am a convicted felon were all on Medicaid do i qualify to be a paid care giver

    • Hello and thank you for reaching out to the Community Foundation! Please call us at 775-333-5499 for further assistance. Thank you!

  • Hi, I am currently a full time care giver for my mother in law. She is stage 5 kidney failure and is currently undergoing dialysis treatments. I’m training to administer in home hemodialysis for her and I would like to know if I qualify to be paid for that. Thank you so much

    • Hi Jana,

      We would love to help you and provide resources for your husband if he interested in being a caregiver. If you would like to chat, please call us at 775-333-5499. Thank you for reaching out to us!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.